Tuesday, August 22, 2006

After the workshop on Saturday, I hope that community cohesion will now start to build, as it didn't seem to be forming yet. There is a critical mass of students who are active, so I'm hopeful that these will draw the others along with them.

In this semester, there seems also to be more student-instigated emphasis on forming groups to work on the 1st project (possibly because of a real deadline) :-)

A worrying aspect of this group is that they seem to be less inclined to go ahead and take the initiative than the previous students … perhaps it's till early days, but they seem to need more direction from me about what to do, how to do it & when to start. It may again be a function of the fact that this time I have set deadlines ... of well ... win some, lose some ... :-( Or perhaps it is also an effect of a totally different group of personality types with different learning and cognitive styles. I guess time as the semester progresses and I have time to analyse their responses on the questionnaire, just exactly which factors are most salient will become clearer.

I'm struggling with limitations of the QUT server/system access (lag in our faculty at least between pedagogical innovation & technical provision) and on Saturday during the workshop several students weren't able to see their QUT server space for their web pages - apparently because the system was being updated during that time.

I had a wonderful birthday though! Someone in the class found out & I was presented with a lovely bunch of flowers & a chocolate mudcake - which didn't last long, but gave us the energy to carry on for the rest of the day :-P

1 Comments:

At August 25, 2006 10:04 PM, Blogger Helen said...

Deborah, I think we are going in the right direction and moving up the Learning curve. Some are further ahead than others, but that's always par for the course. I can appreciate the massive amount of preparation you have done to get this show on the road and you need to give yourself a big pat on the back. Helen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home